Fire Prevention Week
In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy.
That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan. Here’s this year’s key campaign messages:
· Draw a map of your home with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
· Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
· Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
· Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
· Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building